Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
Another great recipe from my mother-in-law, another of my DH's favorites.
- 1 prepared pie crust
- 2 lbs whole milk ricotta cheese
- 1⁄2 pint heavy cream
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 egg whites
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon rind
- 1⁄2 teaspoon orange rind
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 pinch salt
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Add the salt to the egg whites and beat until stiff peaks form.
- Store beaten egg whites in the refrigerator.
- In a large bowl, add the ricotta cheese, sugar, vanilla, orange rind and lemon rind. Mix well.
- In another bowl, beat heavy cream until slightly thick.
- Add it to the ricotta mixture.
- Add the egg whites and gently fold them into the mixture.
- Arrange the pie crust into a deep dish glass pie plate.
- Pour the filling into the dishand bake 15 minutes.
- Turn heat down to 350 and bake for 1 hour, turning the plate around occasionally.
- Remove from oven, let it cool.
- Cover it with plastic wrap and refrigerate it overnight (or at least 4 hours).
- Cut into 10 slices and serve.