Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
365: No Repeats. Rachael Ray
- 1 lb penne or 1 lb ziti pasta, rigate
- coarse salt
- 2 cups ricotta cheese
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1⁄2 cup parmigiano-reggiano cheese or 1⁄2 cup romano cheese
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup flat leaf parsley, finely chopped (generous handful)
- 1 lb bulk italian sweet sausage
- coarse black pepper
- fresh basil leaf, shredded (about 20 leaves)
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the pasta and salt the water. Cook the pasta until al dente, with a bite to it.
- Place the ricotta, butter, and Parmigiano or Romano cheese in a large bowl.
- Heat a small skillet over medium heat. Add the EVOO and sausage. Brown the sausage, then add the onions and cook 5 minutes. Add the parsley and cook 2 minutes. Turn off the heat.
- Drain the pasta. Add to the bowl with the cheeses. Toss to melt the butter and evenly coat the pasta with cheeses, then season with salt and pepper. Top pasta with basil.
- Season with a little salt. Toss and serve at the table.
This was so good. No where in the recipe directions does it tell you where to add the sausage, so we added it with the cheese. We used fat free ricotta and sweet Italian turkey sausage. This was not difficult to put together and was really really good.