Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Hot fluffy pancakes are what we normally associate with an American holiday. Well here's a recipe that you can make at home, looks great and tastes sublime.
- 250 g ricotta cheese
- 175 ml milk
- 4 eggs, seperated
- 100 g plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- olive oil, for frying
FOR THE MULLED STRAWBERRIES
- 225 g small fresh strawberries
- 150 ml fresh orange juice
- 2 tablespoons caster sugar
- 1 star anise
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed
- Begin with the mulled strawberries.
- Hull the strawberries in a bowl and set aside.
- Place the orange juice, sugar star anise and caraway seeds in a small pan.
- Bring to the boil and simmer for 5 minutes, then pour over the strawberries and allow to cool.
- Chill for at least an hour and up to 8 hours.
- Place the ricotta, milk and egg yolks in a large bowl and beat well together to combine.
- Sift over the flour, baking powder and salt and stir to make a smooth batter.
- Using an electric whisk, beat the egg whites until stiff.
- Carefully fold into the batter.
- Heat a little of the oil in a large pan, non stick fry pan and dropped heaped Tablespoons of the mixture into the pan.
- Cook in batches for 1 minute on each side until puffed and golden.
- Repeat to make 12 Pancakes.
- Divide between 4 plates and spoon over the mulled strawberries.