Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Here's an side dish or light supper that can be served hot or cold. Love those onions!!!
- 1 unbaked pie shell
- 2 onions, sliced thin and sauteed in
- 1 teaspoon margarine
- 1 cup chopped chives or 1 cup green onion
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄4 cups ricotta cheese
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs or 1⁄2 cup cracker crumb
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Sauté onions until soft and slightly browned.
- Place in unbaked pie shell.
- Combine melted butter and crumbs and set aside.
- Mix all the rest of the ingredients and pour into pie shell.
- Top with crumb mixture.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
i needed to cook it an extra 15 minutes, but it was wonderful- i added some ground pepper and nutmeg,and some chopped canadian bacon, sauteed with the onions
This is fabulous! Following chia's lead, I added some chopped bacon to the onions, and supplemented about half of the chives with green onions. I used a full-lard pie crust, which worked great with the savoury flavour. This came to a potluck in honour of a retiring co-worker, and was the first thing to disappear from the table. 30 hungry librarians wouldn't steer you wrong. ;) Thanks! edited to add a variation by Arostook: Reduce chopped onions to 1 tbls and add two cups of fresh mushroom.
This is the second time I have made this recipe, goes to show I think it is really good. I made it as I did last time by adding some proscuitto and also a little flaked chili to the breadcrumbs but this time I used only green onions. I think I liked it better with just all green onions.