Prep 30 mins
Cook 50 mins
This is a quiche recipe I threw together with what I had in the house.
For a 12- to 12-1/2-inch tart shell
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 tablespoon salt
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small pieces and chilled
- 6 -10 tablespoons ice water (as needed)
For the Filling
- 2⁄3 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 6 eggs
- 3 -4 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- 3 -4 tablespoons swiss cheese
- 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese, separated
- 10 ounces spinach, cooked and shredded
- 12 cremini mushrooms, sliced thinly
- 10 ounces bacon, cooked and crumbled
- celery salt
- onion powder
- garlic powder
- FOR THE CRUST:.
- In a large bowl combine the flour & salt.
- Add the butter with fingers, rubbing until incorporated completely and water.
- Gather the dough by rolling it into a ball, being sure to collect any fallen dough from the corners.
- Roll the dough on a lightly floured surface into a round ball. Roll the dough over your rolling pin and lift it over the tart pan. Unroll it loosely over the tart pan and gently press the dough into the pan without stretching it.
- Fold a bit of the excess dough inward to form a lip.
- Prick the bottom of the shell all over with a fork, cover with aluminum foil, and refrigerate for approximately 30 minutes or overnight.
- Arrange a rack in the center of the oven and heat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Remove the foil, line the frozen shell with parchment or fresh foil, fill it with pennies or pie weights, and bake until the sides are set, about 12-14 minutes.
- Let cool.
- FOR THE FILLING:.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Cook the spinach and bacon ahead of time.
- Combine the eggs, milk, spinach, ricotta, seasoning, parmesan, mushrooms, and swiss in a food processor or bowl. stir until well-incorporated.
- Line the bottom of the pie crust(s) with 1/4 cup of cheddar cheese before pouring in the egg mixture.
- Sprinkle the crumbled bacon over the quiche, sprinkle the remaining cheddar cheese over that.
- Bake the pie for 50 to 75 minutes until the egg mixture is set all the way through. Serve hot or refrigerate for later.
- Re-heat the next day in the microwave, or eat fresh with veggies or a side salad and dinner roll.