Recipe by nancyal
I found these on the Mollie Katzen website, they are delicious.
Top Review by M&Mers
Nice, delicate flavor...a breeze to make. Just for variety, I poked some individually quick frozen wild blueberries into the batter of 6 of these muffins (if you don't thaw them before you use them, they won't turn your batter blue!). M&Mers
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 tablespoon minced lemon, zest of (, heaping)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup unbleached flour
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Lightly oil or spray 12 2-inch muffin cups.
- In a medium size bowl, combine ricotta, egg, milk, butter, vanilla, lemon zest, lemon juice, and sugar.
- Beat until well blended.
- In a second medium size bowl, sift together the flours, baking powder, and salt.
- Make a well in the center and pour in the wet mixture.
- Mix from the bottom of the bowl with just a few strokes until thoroughly combined (don't overmix).
- Use a 1/3c measure with a handle or 2 soup spoons to scoop batter from the bowl to the muffin cups.
- Fill 3/4 full.
- Bake in the center of the oven for 20-25 minutes, or untilo a toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and cool in pan 10 minutes.
- Eat hot or warm or at room temperature.
- Note:To make these even higher in protein, you may substitute a good protein powder for 1/2c of the flour.
- If you cannot find the whole wheat pastry flour, you may use all unbleached flour.