Recipe by bluemoon downunder
Quick to make; quick to be devoured! A simple and delicious recipe I found in the June 2002 isue of the 'Australian Good Taste' magazine. 10 minutes preparation time; 10 minutes chilling time; 10 minutes cooking time and undoubtedly less than 10 minutes devouring time! Next time I make these, I'm planning to gently fold in 1/4 cup slivered almonds, or perhaps some ground almonds, before chilling the mixture. Before making this recipe, Sharon123 contacted me to ask me about the amount of flour needed: an ingredient but NOT listed in the ingredients. APOLOGIES! I made these some months ago, then posted the recipe for safekeeping but right now I'm not sure where the magazine is! And I cannot remember what the quantity was! When I find the magazine during my annual tidy up, now in progress, I'll submit the amount. Meanwhile, please be guided by the amount that worked for Sharon123!
Top Review by Aunty Dotty
Mmmm thanks Bluemoon! I had these for dessert with the last of my riesling ( glass, not bottle - come on! ) and they are delicious little fluffy pikelets of ricotta. I think your idea of adding nuts is good, I reckon they'd be better with a texture contrast. The only other change I could make would be to reduce or skip the sugar and just use honey to sweeten. Overall, a cheap foolproof dessert/breakfast that everyone will like!
- 250 g fresh ricotta, low-fat is fine
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons flour (see Note above)
- 2 tablespoons caster sugar
- 1 lemon, zest of, finely grated
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1⁄3 cup honey (to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the the ricotta, egg, flour, sugar and lemon zest in a medium-sized bowl and, using a hand-held whisk or an electric beater, whisk until almost smooth. Cover and place in the fridge for 10 minutes to chill.
- Heat the oil in a medium pan, preferably non-stick, over a medium heat, and spoon tablespoons of the mixture into the hot oil; cook, turning often, for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towel, and repeat with the remaining mixture.
- Divide the fritters among the serving plates, drizzle with honey and serve immediately.