Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
I never liked lasagna until my mother-in-law shared this recipe with me. It is absolutely my husbands favorite dinner. And it finally made me enjoy lasagna as well. For all the non ricotta lovers out there this lasagna will rock your world.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 (16 ounce) package lasagna noodles
- 2 (16 ounce) jars tomato sauce, whatever flavor you prefer
- 60 g butter, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 lb ham, sliced thin from deli
- 2 lbs shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 cups shredded parmesan cheese (optional)
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- In large skillet brown ground beef until fully cooked.
- At the same time in large pot boil lasagna noodles; if noodles are pre-cooked omit this step.
- When ground beef is fully cooked add tomato sauce. Bring to a boil for 5-10 minutes allowing the flavors to mingle.
- At the same time melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat until foaming. Add flour. Cook, stirring, for 1 to 2 minutes or until bubbling. Remove from heat. Slowly add milk, whisking constantly, until mixture is smooth. Return to heat. Cook, stirring with a wooden spoon, for 10 to 12 minutes or until sauce comes to the boil, thickens and coats the back of a wooden spoon. Remove from heat.
- In 9x11 baking dish start assembling lasagna. Lay a full layer of noodles, a full layer of thinly sliced deli ham*, spoon ground beef sauce over ham layer, sprinkle mozzarella over completely covering everything, and lastly spoon milk sauce over top of cheese. Continue layering process until all ingredients are used or pan is full.
- Place in oven, cook for 60 minutes or until top is golden brown.
- I like to end with a full layer of noodles on top and cover with mozzarella and Parmesan.
- Ham may be chopped and sprinkled over noodles to help ease of eating.
- If pre-cooked noodles are used more of the milk sauce may be necessary and cook time may need to be a little longer.