Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Favorite Italian-American Holiday treat. Usually made locally during the religious observation of St. Joseph on March 19
- 1 lb ricotta cheese
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract (optional)
- Mix ricotta, eggs, sugar, salt and vanilla.
- Slowly incorporate flour.
- Pick up small portion of dough and form to make doughnut.
- Fry until golden brown (we usually use crisco for this-- use only a fairly neutral tasting oil-not olive oil).
- Drain and dust with powdered sugar.