1/2 Photos of Ricotta-Chocolate Cheesecake
1 hr 30 mins
This is ridiculously easy and quite delicious -- I simply invented it because husband craved something sweet! This cheesecake does not sink in the middle or crack, but I do not guarantee results if substitutions are used. As I'm in South Africa, I over-explain somewhat because I don't know the precise US or other countries' equivalent ingredients ... Really worth a try, this one. You need a loose-bottomed cake tin, and if you're using a convection or fan oven, don't use a tin with a raised bottom as for best results the cake tin bottom must make contact with the oven tray or grid.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 14 ounces chocolate cookies (see directions, mine had a filling)
- 3 ounces butter, melted
- 1 1/2 lbs ricotta cheese, well drained and dry. (If uncertain, drain overnight in a sieve)
- 3 1/2 ounces milk chocolate, high quality
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 jumbo eggs (see directions)
- 1/2 cup liqueur (cream liqueur such as Bailey's Irish Whiskey cream or any equivalent)
- 1Set oven at 180 deg C/350 deg F.
- 2Spray a loose-bottomed cake tin with nonstick spray, or grease with butter.
- 3For the crust, break the biscuits into a processor or blender. (I used a cocolate biscuit called Romany Creams, with a choc filling). Add the melted butter, and mix until fine and nicely greasy.
- 4Scrape mixture into cake tin and pat flat with your fingers.
- 5Break the chocolate into pieces and melt -- the microwave does a good job -- just use low heat. Use a chocolate with a high cocoa butter content.
- 6Put all the ingredients for the filling in your processor in the order given, or use an electric cake mixer. (I preferred the processor, which is faster).
- 7I used Amarula Cream, a S A product, as the liqueur, but use any equivalent creamed liqueur.
- 8Do use the largest size eggs, called "jumbo" here. No need to beat first, just crack and add.
- 9Process until mixture is very smooth, which is so quick in a processor.
- 10With a rubber spatula, scrape out the mixture on top of the biscuit crust, and smooth the top.
- 11Bake for 1 hour in the preheated oven, then switch off the oven, open the door slightly, and let cake cool to lukewarm in the oven. Then take out and cool on kitchen counter.
- 12Some cakes normally sink slightly or crack: this one has an almost level top, which helps.
- 13For the topping, whip the cream cheese, sugar and vanilla until smooth and well mixed, and spread over the top of the cake.
- 14For serving you could sift plain bitter cocoa powder over the top. Serve in thin slivers: it is rich. The servings given has taken this fact into account. If you cut it in normal slices, the yield will be smaller.
Browse Our Top Cheesecake Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ricotta-Chocolate Cheesecake
Serving Size: 1 (292 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1481.0
- Calories from Fat 551
- Total Fat 61.2 g
- Saturated Fat 30.2 g
- Cholesterol 174.4 mg
- Sodium 1547.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 181.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.3 g
- Sugars 107.4 g
- Protein 26.3 g