Recipe by najwa
My husband likes ricotta cheese a lot, so I came up with this recipe .. You won't believe how light these scones are .. Next time I will sub lemon juice for the milk, and grated lemon rind for the cinnamon ..
- 1⁄2 cup light ricotta cheese (or regular)
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon nonfat milk (or regular, cream .. etc)
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees, and spray a baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, combine ricotta cheese, egg, milk and cinnamon.
- Mix well with a fork until well combined and not very lumpy.
- (Do not mix until all lumps disappear).
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse cornmeal.
- Stir in cheese mixture lightly, then combine quickly.
- Be careful not to overmix, knead no more than 10 times.
- You may need to add another tablespoon of milk depending on your flour, dough should be slightly sticky and shiny.
- Place on the baking sheet, and pat into 3/4 inch thickness.
- Cut round into 6 wedge-shaped pieces.
- Move scones so they are not touching, and dust with sugar and cinnamon.
- Back 15-20 minutes, or until browned.