Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Soft and moist little pillows from heaven. The icing is what makes these cookies great. This was given to me by my mom and I make them every year at Christmas. For a variation, divide the batch in half and use 2 tsp of almond extract instead of anise, you get 2 distinct flavors in the same cookie.
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup butter
- 1 (15 ounce) container ricotta cheese
- 2 teaspoons anise extract
- 2 eggs
- 4 cups flour
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons milk
- red sugar crystals
- green sugar crystals
- Preheat oven to 350 Degrees.
- In large bowl with mixer beat butter that is softened (2 sticks) and sugar until blended. Increase speed to high and beat until fluffy.( About 5 min)On Medium speed, beat in Ricotta, Anise and Eggs until well combined.
- In small bowl combine flour, baking powder and salt. On low speed, add dry mixture until dough forms. Drop by level tablespoons on cookie sheet spacing 2 inches apart.
- Bake 15 min until lightly golden then remove to wire rack to cool.
- When cool prepare icing by mixing confectionary sugar and milk until smooth. Spread onto cookies with small metal spatual. While still wet, sprinkle with colored red and green crystals. Let dry for about and hour.