Prep 40 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is an old family recipe. These cookies are delicious and can be decorated according to the holiday/occasion.
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 egg whites
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- crystalized candy sprinkles
- Cream butter and ricotta cheese with electric mixer on medium speed for 10 minutes.
- Gradually add sugar. Blend.
- Add eggs. Blend.
- Separately mix flour, baking soda and salt and gradually add to batter. Blend.
- Roll batter into small balls, a little smaller than a Dunkin Donuts Munchkin. You should have enough cookies for two cookie sheets.
- Bake on lightly greased cookie sheet with no sides at 400 degrees for 10 minutes.
- Cool completely before frosting.
- For frosting, mix egg whites, powdered sugar and vanilla and beat until well-blended.
- Frost cookies.
- Add sprinkles to cookies.
- Wait a few minutes for frosting to set.
This is one of the cookies I brought to our family cookie exchange. I used this recipe because it called for 1 cup of ricotta cheese which is what I had on hand. A very light, mild tasting cookie. Everyone loved these, even the kids. I was worried about using egg whites in the frosting so I used milk.
I reduced the sugar a tad and did not use icing, but these are really delicious cookies.