Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Simply the best!
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup margarine or 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 (15 ounce) container ricotta cheese
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons milk
- colored sprinkles (red and green)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In large bowl, with mixer at low speed, beat sugar and margarine or butter until blended.
- Increase speed to high; beat until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
- At medium speed, beat in ricotta, vanilla, and eggs until well combined.
- Reduce speed to low.
- Add flour, baking powder, and salt; beat until dough forms.
- Drop dough by level tablespoons, about 2 inches apart,onto ungreased large cookie sheet.
- Bake about 15 minutes or until cookies are very lightly golden (cookies will be soft).
- With pancake turner, remove cookies to wire rack to cool.
- Repeat with remaining dough.
- When cookies are cool, prepare icing: In small bowl, stir confectioners' sugar and milk until smooth.
- With small metal spatula or knife, spread icing on cookies; sprinkle with red or green sugar crystals.
- Set cookies aside to allow icing to dry completely, about 1 hour.
I never even made the frosting, I was making them for school snack and skipped it. I had to make them again the next day and send the recipe. A very light, muffin-top like cookie. Very tasty. Hard to stop eating. Definately not diet food, though.
I have remade these and at one point doubled the recipe but only had one batch worth of ricotta. They still came out tasty, and much better for you.
DO NOT stack these cookies, they are too soft and will stick to each other.
The Texans in the house thought "biscuits" when they saw these cookies but everyone liked them. I made an icing with 1 tbs. milk and 2 tbs. lemon juice that flavored the cookies incredibly well. Like Forever Young, my leftovers got a bit soggy after a couple of days so I popped them in the oven for about 20 mi. at 300 and we enjoyed every last one of these great cookies! Thanks for posting!
Loved these cookies!!! They were moist and delicious!!! I decided to put buttercream icing on them and they tasted like the sugar cookies I grew up with in Amish Country Pennsylvania. So excited to make these again and again. Yum!