Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
What to do with the leftover whey from making Fantabulously Easy Under an Hour Fresh Mozzarella - make ricotta! You can get a cup or more from your whey after you make your mozzarella and it's very very easy. The word 'Ricotta' simply means re-cooked.
- 1 gallon whey (leftover from making Fantabulously Easy Under an Hour Fresh Mozzarella)
- 1⁄2 lemon, juiced (OR 3 to 4 tablespoons white vinegar)
- Over medium heat cook the whey to 200*. Remove from heat and squeeze the juice of half of a lemon into the pot. If you don't have lemon use vinegar. Give it a gentle stir.
- Wait 5 minutes or so while you line a strainer, set over a large pot, with a cotton cloth. Cheesecloth will be too open to use so go for cotton or muslin.
- Ladle the curds and whey gently into the strainer and letting it drip into the pot for at least two hours. You should have about 1 1/2 cups of ricotta.
- To make dry ricotta for cannoli filling gently squeeze the cloth, twisting it to release the whey. The drier the better for your cannoli filling.
- Store in the refrigerator.