Ricotta Cheese As a By-Product of Mozzarella
- Over medium heat cook the whey to 200*. Remove from heat and squeeze the juice of half of a lemon into the pot. If you don't have lemon use vinegar. Give it a gentle stir.
- Wait 5 minutes or so while you line a strainer, set over a large pot, with a cotton cloth. Cheesecloth will be too open to use so go for cotton or muslin.
- Ladle the curds and whey gently into the strainer and letting it drip into the pot for at least two hours. You should have about 1 1/2 cups of ricotta.
- To make dry ricotta for cannoli filling gently squeeze the cloth, twisting it to release the whey. The drier the better for your cannoli filling.
- Store in the refrigerator.