Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
Got this from my friend Tina... a great recipe (especially for the Italians :)).
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) box yellow cake mix
- 1 cup water (or as specified in cake mix directions)
- 1⁄3 cup oil (or as specified in cake mix directions)
- 2 -3 eggs (or as specified in cake mix directions)
- 2 lbs ricotta cheese
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare cake mix according to package directions and pour into well greased 9"x13" pan.
- Mix cheese, eggs, sugar, vanilla, and lemon juice together and pour over cake batter.
- Bake 50-60 minutes until brown on top.
- ** The cake and cheese mixture will switch during baking. Can be topped with berries and whipped cream or confectioner's sugar and/or cinnamon.
I made your reciepe last night and Husband liked it, I liked it, Sister and nephew liked it! Only change I made, I only had 6 eggs on hand, so when it came time to make the Ricotta cheese topping, I only used 3 eggs because that's all I had left, therefore I cut the sugar to 1/2 cup. If it was suppose to taste better with the 4th egg and the additional 1/2 cup of sugar, I'll never know til next time.. Oh, one more thing, I did not have yellow cake mix, only white, chocolate and strawberry, so I went with the white this time.. Next time I think I will do lemon! Thanks for sharing!!
This turned out to be a delightful cake, moist, not overly sweet, with a nice hint of cheesy lemon flavor. (I tasted it while it was still warm and that was a mistake. The cake needs to be completely cool for the cheesey layer to achieve its proper consistency.) I think this cake cries out for a fruit topping of some sort. It would be the perfect accompaniment. Thanks for a great recipe.