Recipe by Steve P.
A quick an easy version of a traditional Italian holiday treat.
Top Review by Noreen a Canadian
excellent and easy recipe. I modified to make a bit more low carb. Splenda instead of sugar, and I only had cottage cheese so I blended that til smooth. Also added some nutmeg. Looking for a lower carb flour substitue to try in this recipe. Love the way those little balls just turn themselves. Thanks.
- 1 egg (beaten)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- vegetable oil (for deep frying, since this is a dessert dish avoid using a strong flavored oil like olive oil) or shortening (for deep frying, since this is a dessert dish avoid using a strong flavored oil like olive oil)
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Drop by teaspoonfuls into hot oil and deep fry.
- Balls will turn themselves over when one side is done.
- Fry until golden brown and cooked through adjust heat as needed if they brown too quickly without cooking through.
- Drain on paper towels to cool and absorb oil.
- When cool, sprinkle with powdered sugar.