Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is a very eye appealing dish. Great for a "Pot Luck". Beautiful flavor and serves quite a group. It is "do ahead"
- 4 cups fresh white breadcrumbs or 4 cups fresh whole wheat breadcrumbs
- 2⁄3 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 2 cups ricotta cheese
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, best fresh grated
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 cups broccoli, small flowerettes
- 1 cup cauliflower, small flowerettes
- 1⁄4 lb lox, cut into bite size strips (optional)
- 3⁄4 cup English cucumber, peeled and sliced
- 4 black olives, quartered
- 7 cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 2 tablespoons black caviar (optional)
- 1 teaspoon capers (optional)
- Toast fresh crumbs in a 350F degrees oven for 10-15 minutes or until golden.
- Transfer to a bowl, stir in 2/3 cup Parmesan and the butter.
- Press firmly into an 11"x 8" pan with a removeable bottom.
- Bake in 350F degrees oven for about 10 minutes.
- ------------Filling-------------€æ .
- In a bowl beat together: Riccota, 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, egg, salt basil& pepper.
- Beat until smooth.
- Spoon filling into the crust, smoothing the top.
- Bake in 350f oven for 20-25 minutes or until set.
- Cool on a rack.
- Blanch broccoli and cauliflower for 1 minute.
- Drain and rinse with cold water to stop the cooking, pat dry.
- In diagonal rows;arrange a row of broccoli, then a row of tomatoes, cucumbers, lox with capers (If using), row of cauliflower with the quarter black olives tucked in between each flowerette, then a row of sliced mushrooms etc.
- Make these rows compliment each other color wise.
- Cut the pie into squares and serve with a fork.
- You can cover this appetizer and refrigerate until you want to serve it.