Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 5 mins
A great Italian dish for vegetarians or pasta lovers.
- 32 large pasta shells (conchiglioni in Italian)
- 500 g spinach
- 250 g low-fat ricotta cheese
- 500 g low fat cottage cheese
- 600 ml bottled pasta sauce
- 250 ml vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon finely grated parmesan cheese
- Cook pasta in a large saucepan of boiling water, uncovered, 3 minutes; drain.
- Cool slightly.
- Preheat oven to moderate.
- Boil, steam or microwave spinach until just wilted; drain.
- Chop spinach finely, squeeze out excess liquid.
- Combine spinach in a large bowl with ricotta and cottage cheese; spoon spinach mixture into pasta shells.
- Combine sauce and stock in oiled shallow 2 litre (8 cup) ovenproof dish.
- Place pasta shells in dish; sprinkle with parmesan.
- Bake, covered, in moderate oven about 1 hour or until pasta is tender.
I used this recipe as a launching point for a Lenten supper. I could not find the large shells suitable for stuffing, so I used whole grain shells, medium sized. I used a jar of marinara and to that I sauteed and added onion, garlic, green peppers and mushrooms. I seasoned that with Italian Herb mix and a couple dashes of dried pepper flakes. I was going to add zucchini to that also but decided not to (time). Then I made a ricotta, cottage cheese combo with one egg and some added parmesan and black pepper. I cooked and drained spinach and stirred that into the ricotta. Then I layered noodles, sauce and ricotta mixture twice and topped it with some shredded mozarella. Baked it for 30-40 minutes, foil covered. Took foil off for the last 10 minutes. DS didn't like it--too many veggies--but DH and I enjoyed it. I served it with "Recipe #44889" and it was YUMMY!
Very good, but like another reviewer said it could use some spices. It was a little bland, but I loved the texture and the lightness of it. Great dish that I will definitely make again, but I'll play with the spices a little. Thanks for a keeper!
This is a very good stuffed shell recipe for vegetarian night. I added some pasta sauce to cover the pasta shells along with additional parmesan. We had this with Italian Bread for the Bread Machine recipe#50917 for an outstanding healthy pasta meal. Thanks Terese for posting this delicious pasta recipe.