Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Recipe source: Shopper's newsletter
- 4 large artichokes
- 3 ounces pancetta, diced (or 4 slices bacon)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 fennel bulb, trimmed, cord and sliced thin
- 2 cups ricotta cheese
- 1 cup parmesan cheese or 1 cup Fontina cheese, shredded
- 1⁄3 cup white wine
- 2 lemons, juice and zest of
- 1⁄2 cup basil, chopped
- Rinse artichokes under cold water. Cut off top quarter and stem at the base (reserving stem). Trim tips of petals with scissors. Pare away outer coating of each stem, leaving only the white portion at the center.
- In a large sauce pan add 3 inches of water. Add artichokes and stems. Cook over high heat until boiling; reduce to simmer, cover and cook for 45 minutes or until a petal pulls out easily.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In a large skillet cook pancetta (or bacon) and onion over medium high heat until done, stirring frequently.
- Add fennel to skillet and cook until limp.
- Stir in ricotta, Parmesan, wine, lemon zest and juice and basil. Set aside.
- Lift artichokes out of pot and turn upside down on towel to drain. Lift out stem pieces and chop coarsely and then add to skillet (with fennel/ricotta mixture).
- Using a small spoon, scop out and discard soft inner leaves and fuzzy choke, leaving the base of the heart intact.
- Arrange artichokes, cut side up, in a baking pan. Spoon 1 cup of fennel/ricotta mixture into center of each artichoke.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes or until golden.