Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
I made this as one course of my Christmas Eve smorgaasbord. It looks beautiful but is a bit bland for my taste - Next time I make them I will add 1 tsp chili flakes. Perfect for a buffet. If serving this as a side dish !/2 roll per person is generous Each roll may also be cut into 8 pieces to serve as appetizers. The recipe is from a Safeway pamphlet.
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons butter
- 2 shallots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 1⁄2 cups cremini mushrooms, thinly sliced (small brown ones)
- 1 1⁄2 cups portabella mushrooms, gills removed,thinly sliced
- 1 cup shiitake mushroom, thinly sliced
- 1 cup washed torn spinach
- 2 tablespoons cognac or 2 tablespoons white wine
- 2⁄3 cup ricotta cheese (recipe recommends Tre Stella Ricotta)
- 4 tablespoons breadcrumbs
- 5 sage leaves, thinly sliced
- 4 sheets phyllo dough
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- Pre heat oven to 400F.
- Melt 1 1/2 tbsp butter in a fry pan saute the shallots for 3 minutes, add all the mushrooms and cook until browned.
- Add spinach cook 1 minute.
- Remove mushroom mixture from the pan.
- Deglaze the pan with the cognac- 1 minute then add the Ricotta, breadcrumbs& sage Season to taste- mix well.
- Combine with the mushroom mixture.
- Lay out 1 sheet of Phyllo dough, paint well with the butter.
- Place 1/4 of the mushroom mixture on the buttered sheet, spread evenly over the surface, leave the edges free.
- Roll once, fold in ends toward the center and continue rolling to make a cylinder.
- Repeat for the 3 remaining sheets.
- Place the strudels on a non stick baking sheet and bake for 12-15 minutes-let stand for a few minutes before serving.