Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is a pasta recipe I've been cooking forever. I've changed it slightly over the years, but it's basically the same sauce I've made since I was a teenager.
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 411.06 g can tomatoes, diced
- 411.06 g can tomato sauce
- 170.09 g can tomato juice
- 29.58 ml basil, chopped fresh
- 14.79 ml olive oil
- 14.79 ml parsley, chopped fresh
- fresh ground black pepper, to-taste
- 4.92 ml salt
- 2 chicken breasts, grilled and sliced
- 473.18 ml penne pasta
- parmesan cheese, grated
- Sauté onions in olive oil until translucent.
- Add garlic and cook for one more minute.
- Add tomato, tomato sauce, tomato juice, black pepper, salt, basil, and parsley.
- Once sauce boils reduce to simmer and add grilled chicken.
- Simmer until pasta is cooked.
- Cook penne pasta in boiling, salted water.
- Strain pasta and add to sauce.
- Serve topped with Parmesan cheese.
- Add red pepper flakes for arabiatta.
- Add oregano for a spicier version.
Excellent. Super easy. Note: Recipe calls for grilled chicken. I didn't feel like separately grilling chicken, so I just sauteed my cut-up boneless skinless chicken breast in the the onion and garlic, took it out when it was cooked through (so it wouldn't overcook while I simmered the sauce a bit) and then added the tomatoes, sauce, basil, salt, etc. I did add some crushed red pepper. I added a little too much. My super-picky six-year old son loved it that way though!
I really enjoyed this. The sauce was nicely flavored. The second time I made it, I used a couple of tablespoons of capers and about 15 green olives sliced. I also had some shrimp I needed to use up, so I peeled those and put them in with the chicken too. I too used dried basil. The fresh doesn't yet have enough leaves!! I like the idea of a little red pepper. There are endless possibilities with this recipe. Thanks for posting.
delicious! dad couldn't stop raving about it! served over whole wheat spaghetti instead of penne