This is a pasta recipe I've been cooking forever. I've changed it slightly over the years, but it's basically the same sauce I've made since I was a teenager.
- 1⁄2 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can tomatoes, diced
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato juice
- 2 tablespoons basil, chopped fresh
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped fresh
- fresh ground black pepper, to-taste
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 chicken breasts, grilled and sliced
- 2 cups penne pasta
- parmesan cheese, grated
- Sauté onions in olive oil until translucent.
- Add garlic and cook for one more minute.
- Add tomato, tomato sauce, tomato juice, black pepper, salt, basil, and parsley.
- Once sauce boils reduce to simmer and add grilled chicken.
- Simmer until pasta is cooked.
- Cook penne pasta in boiling, salted water.
- Strain pasta and add to sauce.
- Serve topped with Parmesan cheese.
- Add red pepper flakes for arabiatta.
- Add oregano for a spicier version.