Prep 15 mins
Cook 8 hrs
One of my favorite Mexican dishes is carne guisada. I combined parts of several recipes and adapted a bit for crock pot cooking. The family likes it even though they always say it's a little spicy.
- 2 lbs beef round roast
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small onion, chopped, finely
- 1 jalapeno pepper, minced
- 2 cups beef stock
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 6 corn tortillas
- Cut the meat into bite sized cubes, put into crock pot. Add the garlic, onion and chilis. Add the tomato paste and stock. Add all remaining ingredients except tortillas. Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours. Serve with tortillas and Spanish rice.
- Warning: I've made my own recipe recently and it was disastrous. I tried to rate it, but wasn't able to. I've made it with good results in the past, but if I can't get consistent results you probably can't either.
I have never been a huge fan of carne guisada but my husband loves it, so I wanted to find a recipe that was easy and tasty - this is both! I have made it easier by eliminating all of the chopping - I use 1 can of HOT Rotel and 1 can of regular Rotel, only 1 cup of beef broth/stock, and double the cumin, chili powder, and tomato paste. I usually use a chuck roast that I cut up into larger chunks than your typical pre-cut stew meat, but stew meat works well too. After it is fully cooked, I remove the meat, thicken the sauce using cornstarch, and then add the meat back in after it has been thickened (think gravy, not sauce). I serve w/ spanish rice, beans and tortillas. Recipe can easily be doubled for a crowd and freezes well. We LOVE it and so does everyone we've shared it with - it's now one of my 'go to' meals.
I've prepared this for my family in advance as in the evening I was not at home.
I've used a can (450 ml) of minced tomatoes instead of beef stock and tomato paste.
For cooking I've used a pressure cooker (at very low pressure) for one hour.
They liked it!j