Recipe by rickscott
This was the result of a little experimentation. I keep cooked chicken breasts and uncooked shrimp in the freezer so I can get this started in no time.
Top Review by KMLWPA
Yummy! And easier than I thought it would be. Hardest part was finding andouille sausage here in town! Used a mix of red and green bell pepper, doubled the garlic, but cut the cayenne in half, since I wasn't sure how spicy the sausage would be. Turned out great, not too garlicky, not too spicy. Used b/l s/l chicken breasts boiled earlier in the day and large shrimp I had in the freezer. DH took leftovers to work and said he had to watch the crockpot to keep his co-workers from stealing his lunch. :-)
- 1 lb andouille sausage, sliced 1/4 inch
- 1 lb chicken, cooked, large dice
- 1 onion, chopped finely
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 3 cups water
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 1⁄2 cups small shrimp, peeled
- 1 1⁄2 cups rice, uncooked
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute sausage, onions, bell pepper and garlic until sausage is browned.
- Add the chicken, water, salt, cayenne, bay leaf and tomato paste.
- Bring to a boil with the lid on. When water boils add the shrimp and the rice.
- Stir and lower fire.
- Let rice simmer, stirring every five minutes until rice is cooked.
- About 30 minutes.