1 hr 20 mins
Found this in Delicious magazine. It's a different way of making Shepherd's Pie, and one I really like. It takes a bit of time, but you could do the prep beforehand and bake it just before you need it. I use Bart's tamarind paste. The recipe suggests that this goes well with a bottle of Australian Cabernet-Shiraz. Well, who am I to argue on that one?
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon sunflower oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 inch piece fresh ginger, finely grated
- 1 kg lean ground lamb
- 1 small red chile, deseeded and finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 ripe tomato, chopped
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- 1 teaspoon tamarind paste
- 1 1/4 kg floury potatoes, cut into chunks
- 50 g unsalted butter
- 2 -3 tablespoons milk
- 300 ml chicken stock, hot
- 1/4 cup fresh coriander, chopped
- 1Heat oil in large frying pan over medium heat. Add onion, garlic and ginger and cook, stirring 10 minutes until onion is just starting to colour. Add lamb and cook 5 minutes to brown. Tip into a colander and rest to drain excess fat.
- 2Return meat to pan and add chilli, turmeric, coriander and cumin. Cook 1 more minute. Stir in tomato, tomato puree, tamarind and stock. Season and simmer 25 minutes (lamb should still be fairly moist). Stir in fresh coriander.
- 3Transfer meat mixture to an ovenproof dish and set aside. Preheat oven to 200 degrees C, gas mark 6.
- 4For the potato topping, place potatoes in a large pan of salted water, boil, and simmer until tender. Drain, return to pan and mash with a potato masher (I use a potato ricer - no lumps!). Add butter and enough milk to form a spreadable mash.
- 5Spoon potato topping over lamb. Bake in oven 30 minutes until hot and golden.
- 6Spoon p.
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Rick Stein's Shepherd's Pie As Cooked in India
Serving Size: 1 (595 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1116.5
- Calories from Fat 669
- Total Fat 74.3 g
- Saturated Fat 32.9 g
- Cholesterol 212.7 mg
- Sodium 288.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 60.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.4 g
- Sugars 8.0 g
- Protein 50.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: