Prep 25 mins
Cook 20 mins
A winning combination of a few recipes. I made these as an appetizer for Easter 2007. If bulk sausage is not available simply remove link sausage from casing.
- 40 large fresh stuffing mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb bulk italian sweet sausage
- 1 -2 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese (divided)
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup seasoned dry bread crumb
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley
- salt and pepper
- Remove stems from mushrooms and reserve stems. Trim "woody" end of stems.
- Heat oil in large skillet.
- Add sausage and garlic to skillet and cook til sausage is no longer pink. let cool a bit.
- Combine all remaining ingredients including stems--reserving a 1/2 cup of mozzarella-- into the work bowl of a food processor.
- Pulse about ten times til combined, do not overmix. Mixture should have texture. Top each mushroom caps equally with (about a tablespoon) stuffing. Place in greased--9 x 13 baking dish--may need 2 dishes depending on size of mushrooms---top with reserved mozzarella.
- Bake at 350°F for 20 minutes.
- Serve hot or at room temperature.
Outstanding appetizer!! I wouldn't change a thing. I used link italian sausage and removed the casings. Also used 2 garlic cloves. Making these in the food processor made it very easy. I did need 2 9x13 pans for this recipe. I will be making these again often. Thanks Richard for sharing this recipe! Made for My-3-Chefs.