Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Adapted from The New York Times Cookbook. Serve with rice..
- 2 1⁄2 lbs lamb shoulder, cubed
- 1⁄4 cup butter, divided
- 2⁄3 cup onion, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons preserved gingerroot, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 -3 tablespoons curry powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried mint, crushed
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 1⁄2 cup grated coconut
- 1⁄2 cup lime juice
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large, heavy pan.
- Add onions and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Remove and set aside.
- Melt remaining butter in same pan.
- Brown lamb on all sides.
- Return onion to pan.
- Add ginger, sugar, pepper, salt, curry powder, mint and milk, and mix well.
- Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer 1 hour.
- Stir in coconut and coconut milk.
- Cover and simmer 5 minutes.
- Slowly stir in lime juice.
- Slowly stir in cream (be sure to add this after the lime juice).
- Cover and simmer until lamb is tender, 10-15 minutes. Do not allow to boil.