Prep 1 min
Cook 0 mins
Use for dinner rolls or sweet rolls.
- 4 tablespoons margarine
- 1⁄3 cup shortening
- 3⁄4 cup sugar, plus
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 4 (1/4 ounce) packages active dry yeast
- 1⁄2 cup warm water
- 7 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- Cream margarine and shortening with sugar until light. Add eggs slowly, blending well between each addition.
- Dissolve yeast in lukewarm water (110 --be sure that water is not too hot).
- Sift together flour and salt.
- Add half of flour and half of milk to the shortening-sugar mixture.
- Add dissolved yeast.
- Add remainder of milk and flour to make a soft dough.
- Cover dough; let rest for 10 minutes.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 8 to 10 minutes or until dough is smooth and elastic.
- Place dough in a lightly greased bowl large enough to hold dough when doubled in size, turning once to grease the surface.
- Cover; let rise in a warm place (90 F) until double in size (about 2 hours).
- Fold dough over from 4 sides to knead lightly.
- Let rise again until double in size.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and shape as desired.
- Let rise in warm place (90 F) until double in size (about 25 to 30 minutes).
- Do not let rolls "over-rise".
- Bake in a preheated 350 F oven until both the top and bottom of rolls are golden brown, about 10 to 12 minutes.
- Remove from oven and brush top of rolls with melted margarine.