One of my favorite cakes that I've been making for many years! Happy to share!
Make and share this Rich White Cake With Strawberry Frosting recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 2 cups sugar
- 2⁄3 cup water
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- 3 cups sifted flour, sift first, then measure
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 6 egg whites
- 2 1⁄4 cups whole frozen unsweetened strawberries, thawed in strainer
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 egg whites
- 1 dash salt, half of an 1/8 tsp
- 1 whole fresh strawberries
- Cream butter and shortening, gradually add sugar, beating well on medium speed.
- Combine water and milk in small bowl, set aside.
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt, add to creamed mixture alternately with milk mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture.
- Stir in flavorings.
- Beat egg whites, (at room temp.), til stiff peaks form.
- Gently fold into batter.
- Pour batter into 3 greased and floured 9" round cake pans.
- Bake at 350º for 20 minutes, or til toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool in pans 10 minutes, remove from pans and cool completely on wire racks.
- Spread frosting between layers, sides and top of cake.
- Garnish with whole strawberries if desired.
- Strawberry frosting:.
- Thaw berries, place in a strainer.
- Slightly mash, and let drain to measure 2/3 cup strawberry pulp.
- Combine pulp and remaining ingredients in top of double-boiler, place over boiling water.
- Beat at high speed for 7 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Makes enough frosting for a 3-layer cake.