Recipe by justcallmetoni
This is a creamy and satisfying soup that is silky smooth with nice nibbles of vegetables that offer a nice change from other potato leek soups. The use of buttermilk and cardomom also provide distinctive flavor to the soup. This is filling enough to use as the centerpiece of a comforting dinner or lunch. You can make this vegetarian by using vegetable broth in lieu of chicken broth. On the day the photo was taken, I omitted the mushrooms for the sake of a mushroom-hating guest. Every spoonful was still delicious.
Top Review by Bonnie G #2
Wonderful, warm, creamy potato soup that everyone enjoyed. I made this exactly as posted except for the mushrooms, didn't use those as I was out and was still wonderful. Next time I think I'll add some bacon it increase the flavor just that little bit extra. Thanks Toni for a great tasting, comforting soup on these cold winter days.
- 7 cups fat free chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons fat free chicken broth, divided
- 1 tablespoon oil, divided
- 2 cups onions, sliced
- 2 1⁄2 cups leeks, sliced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried marjoram
- 8 cups russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 pinch ground cardamom
- 1⁄2 lb fresh white mushroom, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, diced
- 1 cup potato, diced
Directions See How It's Made
- Add 2 teaspoons of oil and 2 tablespoon of broth to a large pot over medium heat. Add the onions, leeks and marjoram and saute for 15 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.
- Add the potatoes and 7 cups broth, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 25 minutes.
- Add the buttermilk, ground black pepper and cardamom. Puree the soup with an immersion blender ot in small batches with a blender or food processor.
- While the soup is simmering, place the mushrooms and the remaining teaspoon of oil and tablespoon of broth in a large skillet over medium heat and saute until the liquid evaporates and the mushrooms are golden in color. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- At the same time boil the diced carrots and potatoes in a small saucepan.
- Mix the mushrooms, carrots and potatoes into the pureed soup.