Prep 25 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a creamy and satisfying soup that is silky smooth with nice nibbles of vegetables that offer a nice change from other potato leek soups. The use of buttermilk and cardomom also provide distinctive flavor to the soup. This is filling enough to use as the centerpiece of a comforting dinner or lunch. You can make this vegetarian by using vegetable broth in lieu of chicken broth. On the day the photo was taken, I omitted the mushrooms for the sake of a mushroom-hating guest. Every spoonful was still delicious.
- 7 cups fat free chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons fat free chicken broth, divided
- 1 tablespoon oil, divided
- 2 cups onions, sliced
- 2 1⁄2 cups leeks, sliced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried marjoram
- 8 cups russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 pinch ground cardamom
- 1⁄2 lb fresh white mushroom, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, diced
- 1 cup potato, diced
- Add 2 teaspoons of oil and 2 tablespoon of broth to a large pot over medium heat. Add the onions, leeks and marjoram and saute for 15 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.
- Add the potatoes and 7 cups broth, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 25 minutes.
- Add the buttermilk, ground black pepper and cardamom. Puree the soup with an immersion blender ot in small batches with a blender or food processor.
- While the soup is simmering, place the mushrooms and the remaining teaspoon of oil and tablespoon of broth in a large skillet over medium heat and saute until the liquid evaporates and the mushrooms are golden in color. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- At the same time boil the diced carrots and potatoes in a small saucepan.
- Mix the mushrooms, carrots and potatoes into the pureed soup.
Wonderful, warm, creamy potato soup that everyone enjoyed. I made this exactly as posted except for the mushrooms, didn't use those as I was out and was still wonderful. Next time I think I'll add some bacon it increase the flavor just that little bit extra. Thanks Toni for a great tasting, comforting soup on these cold winter days.
Absolutely the best potato soup we have ever, ever eaten. I have made this 4 times already in the past week and we adore it. So easy, healthful, and beyond delicious. I also made this soup as a vegan version using light soy milk/mixed with soy creamer instead of the buttermilk....and also vegetable broth instead of chicken broth~either way, this is one outstanding soup! The mushrooms just bring a whole new dimension to this dish, and is the most comforting soup. We adore this Toni, and will be making this often~and we already have!
This was so thick and rich and full of flavor. I had never cooked with leeks before and found that I loved the flavor it added. Was a little curious about the buttermilk, but it added a perfect little tang that we loved. I used oregano for the marjoram for personal preference and left out the cardamom (didn't want to push the new flavors of cardamom and buttermilk) but other than that made as directed. Makes a lot of soup and one I'll be making again. Thanks Ms T.