1/5 Photos of Rich Viennese Potato Soup
1 hr 10 mins
This is a creamy and satisfying soup that is silky smooth with nice nibbles of vegetables that offer a nice change from other potato leek soups. The use of buttermilk and cardomom also provide distinctive flavor to the soup. This is filling enough to use as the centerpiece of a comforting dinner or lunch. You can make this vegetarian by using vegetable broth in lieu of chicken broth. On the day the photo was taken, I omitted the mushrooms for the sake of a mushroom-hating guest. Every spoonful was still delicious.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 7 cups fat free chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons fat free chicken broth, divided
- 1 tablespoon oil, divided
- 2 cups onions, sliced
- 2 1/2 cups leeks, sliced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried marjoram
- 8 cups russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 pinch ground cardamom
- 1/2 lb fresh white mushroom, sliced
- 1/2 cup carrot, diced
- 1 cup potato, diced
- 1Add 2 teaspoons of oil and 2 tablespoon of broth to a large pot over medium heat. Add the onions, leeks and marjoram and saute for 15 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.
- 2Add the potatoes and 7 cups broth, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 25 minutes.
- 3Add the buttermilk, ground black pepper and cardamom. Puree the soup with an immersion blender ot in small batches with a blender or food processor.
- 4While the soup is simmering, place the mushrooms and the remaining teaspoon of oil and tablespoon of broth in a large skillet over medium heat and saute until the liquid evaporates and the mushrooms are golden in color. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- 5At the same time boil the diced carrots and potatoes in a small saucepan.
- 6Mix the mushrooms, carrots and potatoes into the pureed soup.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Rich Viennese Potato Soup
Serving Size: 1 (509 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 205.0
- Calories from Fat 22
- Total Fat 2.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.4 g
- Cholesterol 1.2 mg
- Sodium 496.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 40.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.3 g
- Sugars 6.5 g
- Protein 6.7 g