Recipe by Shake'n'Cake
Compiled from a base lasagna recipe, with my own special touches added. This one is definitely worth the wait, and will feed you for a week!
Top Review by Not-2-Sweet
WOW!! If this recipe was my creation, I would have called it "Ratatouille Lasagna". I loved the eggplant layer in this dish! The recipe, as written, didn't include any seasonings, so I added salt, pepper and italian seasoning to the sauce. The tofu layer was quite bland, but a big handful of feta cheese kicked it up some. I covered the pan with foil before baking because the sauce was so thick and I wasn't sure that there was enough moisture to cook the noodles properly. It turned out pretty good, but I probably wouldn't make again due to the major cleanup after and this was sort of expensive to make. We did like it, but didn't love it. I am glad that I tried it though, thanks Bel for sharing!
- 4 (400 g) cans crushed tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 5 garlic cloves
- 1 brown onion
- 1 bunch fresh basil
- 1 large eggplant
- 1 red pepper
- 200 g mushrooms
- 1 bunch spinach
- 1 (300 g) package silken tofu
- 1 (250 g) packetinstant lasagna sheets
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- 500 ml vegetable stock
- 160 g parmesan cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 180c.
- Chop tofu and marinate in vegetable stock for one hour.
- Saute onion and garlic in oil until clear.
- Add tomato paste and crushed tomatoes.
- Simmer for 35-45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Slice eggplant then sprinkle with salt, then leave them for 20 minutes. Rinse the salt off and pat the eggplant slices dry.
- Grill or fry the eggplant until tender.
- Chop the peppers, and mushrooms, then saute in a little oil until tender.
- Drain the tofu, then blend with spinach, pine nuts and basil in a food processor until creamy and smooth.
- Mix the peppers and mushrooms with half of the tomato sauce.
- In an oiled oblong baking tray, layer the lasagna sheets, followed by the tofu mixture, then the vegetable mixture, then the slices of eggplant, the tomato sauce and top with a handful of cheese. Repeat until all used up, then layer the final sheet of pasta on top, followed by anything leftover, and finally a layer of parmesan. Make sure that the lasagna sheets are completely covered with the tomato sauce or they will dry out during cooking.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes.