Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
When you use a rich, roasted vegetable stock or mushroom stock (I like my home made one - Rich Roasted Veggie Stock - it's as dark and flavourful as beef), the flavour of the onion, leek and garlic melt into a luxurious bowl of warmth that you'll never miss the meat in.
- 59.14 ml water
- 1 large sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 1 large leek, white and green parts, thinly sliced
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 59.14 ml dry red wine
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 4.92 ml honey
- 295.73 ml vegetable stock or 295.73 ml mushroom stock
- 14.79 ml chopped fresh parsley
- Heat water in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onion and cook, stirring and adding water as necessary, for 10 minutes.
- Stir in leek and garlic and cook 2-3 minutes longer.
- Add wine and stir vigorously to dislodge the browned bits from the pot, then add broth, honey and thyme.
- Cover and cook 25 minutes.
- Remove thyme stem, stir in fresh parsley and serve.