Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is so easy to make and tastes amazing. Points...2.
- 118.29 ml chopped onion
- 177.44 ml chopped green peppers or 177.44 ml sweet red pepper
- 14.79 ml margarine
- 7.39 ml freah snipped basil or 2.46 ml dried basil, crushed
- 0.59 ml ground red pepper (optional)
- 473.18 ml tomato juice
- 236.59 ml buttermilk
- fresh basil leaves or lime slice
- In a small saucepan cook onion and green or sweet red pepper in margarine till very tender.
- Stir in basil and ground red pepper, if desired.
- Cook and stir for 1 minute more.
- Remove from heat.
- In a blender container combine cooked vegetable mixture, tomato juice, and buttermilk.
- Cover and blend till smooth.
- Return mixture to saucepan and heat through.
- Or, chill thoroughly.
- Garnish each serving with fresh basil leaves or lime slices, if desired.
Very easy to put together and tasty. I like the heat of the red pepper. I prepared it all, then put it on low in the crockpot to let the flavors develop and keep it ready for whenever I wanted the soup. Definitely a great soup for the calories.
Wow was this zingy! Definitely has a lot of flavor, but I think we are just too used to Campbell's tomato soup to try this again.