Recipe by Dancer^
This is so easy to make and tastes amazing. Points...2.
Top Review by Jujubegirl
Very easy to put together and tasty. I like the heat of the red pepper. I prepared it all, then put it on low in the crockpot to let the flavors develop and keep it ready for whenever I wanted the soup. Definitely a great soup for the calories.
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 3⁄4 cup chopped green peppers or 3⁄4 cup sweet red pepper
- 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons freah snipped basil or 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground red pepper (optional)
- 2 cups tomato juice
- 1 cup buttermilk
- fresh basil leaves or lime slice
Directions See How It's Made
- In a small saucepan cook onion and green or sweet red pepper in margarine till very tender.
- Stir in basil and ground red pepper, if desired.
- Cook and stir for 1 minute more.
- Remove from heat.
- In a blender container combine cooked vegetable mixture, tomato juice, and buttermilk.
- Cover and blend till smooth.
- Return mixture to saucepan and heat through.
- Or, chill thoroughly.
- Garnish each serving with fresh basil leaves or lime slices, if desired.