Recipe by Bokenpop aka Madeleine
This is a wonderful accompaniment to any meal requiring additional sauce. I usually serve this with potato kebabs or more traditionally over a stiff maize meal porridge which is a standard at every braai (barbecue).
- 6 large ripe tomatoes
- 2 onions, chopped
- 25 ml olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves, crushed
- 5 ml salt
- 5 ml cayenne pepper
- 400 ml tomato cocktail juice
- 5 ml sugar
- black pepper, to taste
- 10 ml coriander, crushed
- 15 ml lemon juice
- 50 ml parsley
- 24 basil leaves, chopped
- 1 lemon, rind
Directions See How It's Made
- Skin tomatoes and chop up roughly.
- Soften onion in oil - do not brown.
- Add garlic and salt and fry for 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes, cayenne pepper, tomato cocktail, sugar, black pepper, coriander and lemon juice and heat to boiling point.
- Reduce heat and simmer til thick.
- Adjust seasoning, if needed.
- Mix in remaining ingredients and serve.