Recipe by Boyz 5
Found this recipe in Jean Pare's "Company's Coming" cookbook. I've made baking powder biscuits before, but not with cream of tarter in the recipe.
Top Review by heatherJN
i make this recipe all the time and make it into cinnamon rolls by rolling it out spreading BUTTER on the dough adding a brown sugar cinnamon mixture over the butter roll up cut and bake exactly as the original recipe says .. cool then add a glaze.. so yummy there are never any left overs for the next day... i made them for my 4 year old nephew he ate 4 of them for his breakfast.... psst dont tell my sister ... also sometimes add shredded texmex cheese when making to have with chili
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, cold
- 1 cup cold milk
- Put first 5 ingredients in bowl.
- Stir thoroughly.
- Cut in butter until crumbly.
- Pour in milk.
- Stir quickly to combine.
- Dough should be soft.
- Turn out on lightly floured surface.
- Knead gently 8-10 times.
- Roll or pat 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick or half the thickness you want the baked product to be.
- Cut with small round cookie cutter.
- Place on greased cookie sheet close together for soft sides or apart for crisp sides.
- Bake in 450 degrees oven for 12 to 15 minutes.
- Brushing biscuits with milk before baking will produce a pretty brown top.
- Makes 10.