Found this recipe in Jean Pare's "Company's Coming" cookbook. I've made baking powder biscuits before, but not with cream of tarter in the recipe.
- Put first 5 ingredients in bowl.
- Stir thoroughly.
- Cut in butter until crumbly.
- Pour in milk.
- Stir quickly to combine.
- Dough should be soft.
- Turn out on lightly floured surface.
- Knead gently 8-10 times.
- Roll or pat 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick or half the thickness you want the baked product to be.
- Cut with small round cookie cutter.
- Place on greased cookie sheet close together for soft sides or apart for crisp sides.
- Bake in 450 degrees oven for 12 to 15 minutes.
- Brushing biscuits with milk before baking will produce a pretty brown top.
- Makes 10.