Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
If you have any left over mashed sweet potatoes, then this is an excellent way to use them up....and does this make a moist cake....you won't believe the difference that sweet potato makes in this cake...and very easy to prepare.
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) package devil's food cake mix
- 4 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup cooked mashed sweet potatoes
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease two 9" round cake pans.
- At low speed, beat cake mix with eggs, melted butter and 1 cup water for 30 seconds.
- Increase speed to medium; beat 2 minutes.
- Reduce speed to low; beat in cooked mashed sweet potatoes, and chocolate chips.
- Divide batter between pans.
- Bake 25-30 minutes, or until cake test done.
- Cool on rack 15 minutes before removing from pans.
- Frost cake with desired frosting.
This is an incredibly moist and rich tasting chocolate cake even without the chocolate chips! To get an intense chocolate flavor, I instead added 1/3 cup of coco to the batter. The cake had a wonderful texture and no real hint of the yam flavor. I frosted with Kittencal's chocolate buttercream Recipe #89207. For a chocolate lover, this was heaven on earth! Thanks very much for posting!