Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
The base for this recipe came from my mom's 1965 copy of Better Homes and Gardens "Just Desserts" cookbook. There several versions of shortcake listed but this one is delicious and the addition of orange zest to the cake and orange juice to the strawberries is great boost to the flavors of summer!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 3 -5 tablespoons sugar, to desired sweetness
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup butter, cold
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2⁄3 cup light cream or 2⁄3 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 1⁄4 cup sugar, to desired sweetness
- 1 lb strawberry
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- Shortcake: Heat oven to 450 degrees.
- Sift together the dry ingredients; cut in the butter until mixture is like coarse crumbs.
- Combine egg, cream and orange zest.
- Add egg mixture to dry mixture, stirring only to moisten.
- Spread dough into a greased 9" round pan, slightly building up dough around the edges.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool for 5 minutes.
- Strawberries: Hull and quarter one pound of strawberries.
- Sprinkle with 1/4 cup of sugar and pour in 1/4 cup orange juice.
- Toss gently and store covered in refrigerator until ready to serve.
- Whipped Cream: Pour 1 cup heavy cream into mixing bowl.
- Start mixer on low and slowly add sifted powdered sugar.
- Continue to mix on medium speed until cream begins to thicken.
- Add vanilla and mix to combine. DO NOT OVER MIX! (We don't want butter!).
- Store covered in refrigerator until ready to serve.
- Assemble shortcakes by splitting shortcake, spreading bottom half with butter, topping with strawberries and whipped cream, then top with top half of shortacke. Cut into wedges and serve with more whipped cream.