Recipe by Miss Annie
Another Pennsylvania Dutch recipe. I really love this one because it is not too sweet, and it lets the taste of the fruit shine. Delicious served with sweetened peaches or strawberries, with maybe a dollop of whipped cream on top. I love summertime!!
Top Review by Kelley2
This had a nice texture that didn't fall apart with the strawberries. Easy to make, but I did have to add an extra tablespoon or so of milk. We prefer sweeter but wanted to check this out. I'll add more sugar next time to our taste, but I'd definitly make it again. Thanks.
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄3 cup shortening
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- softened butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Sift flour, salt, baking powder and sugar.
- Cut in shortening with a pastry cutter or two knives.
- Stir in egg and milk.
- Spread half of batter into a greased 9-inch round baking pan.
- Spread softened butter over mixture, then pat remaining batter over butter.
- Bake at 450ºF for 20 minutes.