Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Another Pennsylvania Dutch recipe. I really love this one because it is not too sweet, and it lets the taste of the fruit shine. Delicious served with sweetened peaches or strawberries, with maybe a dollop of whipped cream on top. I love summertime!!
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄3 cup shortening
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- softened butter
- Sift flour, salt, baking powder and sugar.
- Cut in shortening with a pastry cutter or two knives.
- Stir in egg and milk.
- Spread half of batter into a greased 9-inch round baking pan.
- Spread softened butter over mixture, then pat remaining batter over butter.
- Bake at 450ºF for 20 minutes.
This had a nice texture that didn't fall apart with the strawberries. Easy to make, but I did have to add an extra tablespoon or so of milk. We prefer sweeter but wanted to check this out. I'll add more sugar next time to our taste, but I'd definitly make it again. Thanks.
This recipe is very similar to one I use all the time - the only difference was mine calls for a 1/4 cup sugar. I love this one because it uses ingredients we always have on hand and it can be made up quickly when we want a nice dessert (especially when the fruits are in season). Thanks for posting, Miss Annie!