Recipe by YummySmellsca
A basic, yet intensely flavourful recipe that forms a delicious bottom note for any vegetarian (or not!) soups, stews or rice dishes you care to make with it. Comes from the Fresh at Home cookbook by Ruth Tal Brown and Jennifer Houston. This is one of the best uses ever for shiitake mushroom stems!
- 2 carrots, roughly chopped
- 3 large celery ribs, roughly chopped
- 1 large onion, roughly chopped
- 2 large tomatoes, cored and quartered
- 5 whole garlic cloves
- 5 ounces mushrooms, halved
- 16 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorn
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Place carrots through mushroms on a foil-lined baking sheet. Pour 1/4 cup water overtop of the vegetables.
- Roast for 20 minutes.
- Scrape all vegetables and juices from the sheet into a large pot, add the 16 cups water, parsley and peppercorns.
- Bring stock to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer.
- Cook, covered, 1 hour, then uncover and simmer 1 hour longer.
- Strain stock, discard solids and keep in fridge or freezer to store.