4 hrs 15 mins
This method takes a very long time, but is SO worth it! The flavor is unbelievable and will improve any soup that calls for a chicken base. It's drawn from Recipezaar recipes #118258 and #191401, and my own alterations. Extremely tasty made with turkey as well.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 lbs raw chicken, pieces with bones (backs, wings and necks are great)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large vidalia onions or 2 large walla walla onions or 2 large maui onions, quartered, skin left on
- 2 carrots, cut in half
- 2 celery ribs, cut in half
- 1 head garlic, cloves separated (skin okay)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon peppercorn
- 1/4 cup parsley stems
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme
- salt & pepper
- 1Pre-heat oven to 450 degrees F.
- 2Rinse the chicken in cold water.
- 3Cut the chicken into small pieces at the joints and if you have a strong cleaver, in the middle of thigh and leg bones to release the marrow.
- 4Toss the chicken pieces in the olive oil with the onions, carrots, celery, and garlic and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 5Roast until everything is a rich golden brown, 30-40 minutes.
- 6Transfer the bones and veggies to a tall stockpot, cover with cold water, add the rest of the ingredients.
- 7Cover, and bring to a boil over full heat.
- 8Reduce heat, simmer, removing excess fat or scum that floats to the top.
- 9Depending on how rich you want the stock and how much time you have, simmer for 4 to 18 hours, skimming when necessary. You can add water as it reduces to extract more goodness from the chicken and veggies.
- 10Do not allow it to boil, or the stock will be cloudy.
- 11Remove from heat, cool at room temperature.
- 12Strain through cheesecloth into a large bowl or other pot.
- 13Refrigerate until the fat rises to the top and the stock congeals. Remove the fat from the top.
- 14Heat again until it liquefies, transfer to freezer containers. Ice cube trays work great to save stock to add stock in small quantities to gravies and the like. Keeps in freezer for 3-6 months.
Browse Our Top Stocks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Rich Roasted Chicken Stock
Serving Size: 1 (2427 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 6683.0
- Calories from Fat 5099
- Total Fat 566.6 g
- Saturated Fat 158.2 g
- Cholesterol 1434.6 mg
- Sodium 1374.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 129.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 36.6 g
- Sugars 21.0 g
- Protein 274.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: