Recipe by veraj9170
Try this twist on the old Rice Pudding recipe. This is creamy and fantastic and it's a cake! Hope you enjoy this. If you don't have Arborio rice you can use any short grained italian rice.
Top Review by Zsuzsa
This is great! My husband loves Rice Pudding, so I thought I would try this one, as it's a bit different. The only problem was that the conversion to metric was not very clear, (ml is a unit of measure for liquid, not dry foods such as sugar!) so I basically had to guess the quantities. Other than that, I couldn't take the lemon zest out, so ended up leaving some in, but it did not matter, it still tasted great!
- 4 cups half-and-half
- 2⁄3 cup arborio rice
- 1⁄2 cup light brown sugar
- 8 slices lemon zest
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 pinch salt
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring the half and half, rice, brown sugar, zest (make strips with a potatoe peeler), coriander and salt to a simmer in a medium sauce pan over medium heat and stirring frequently. Reduce the heat and cook at a bare simmer, stirring frequently for 15 minutes or until most of the liquid is absorbed. Remove the pan from the heat and let stand for 10 minutes, then discard the zest and whisk in the eggs and vanilla.
- Meanwhile, butter an 8 x 1 1/2 inch round cake pan. Heat the granulated sugar and water in a small heavy saucepan over medium heat, stirring until the sugar is dissolved. Increase the heat to high and bring the mix to a boil, wash the sides of the pan with a wet pastry brush if you see any sugar crystals. Boil, without stirring but swirling the pan toward the end to even out the color, until the caramel is dark gold in color. Pour the caramel into the prepared cake pan. Let stand until cooled and hardened.
- Position a rack in the top third of the oven preheat to 350.
- Pour the rice mix into the cake pan and smooth the top with a spatula. Bake for 35 - 40 minutes or until the top begins to brown but the center is still slightly jiggly. Let cool completely on a wire rack.
- Run a knife around the edges of the pan. Invert the cake onto a plate, tap on the pan, and carefully remove the pan. Cut into wedges and serve.