2 hrs 40 mins
2 hrs 10 mins
In 'Braises and Stews' by Tori Ritchie
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Cut the meat into 1-inch pieces, rinse, and pat dry with paper towels.
- 2Sprinkle with salt.
- 3Coat the bottom of a 5- to 7-quart Dutch oven with a thin film of the oil and set pot over med-high heat.
- 4When oil shimmers, add enough meat to cover bottom in 1 layer.
- 5Cook, without stirring, until meat lifts easily from pot with tongs and is well browned on bottom, about 5 minutes.
- 6Turn and brown on the other side, about 5 minutes more.
- 7Transfer meat to a plate and continue with remaining meat, adding more oil to pot in between batches as needed.
- 8When last batch of meat has been removed, add the onion to pot and cook, stirring, until softened, about 3 minutes.
- 9Return meat and any accumulated juices to pot and sprinkle in the chili powder and a pinch of salt.
- 10Add the tomatoes and 1 1/2 cups water and let come to a boil; decrease heat , cover, and simmer until meat is very tender, 1 1/2 to 2 hours (check occasionally to make sure liquid doesn't evaporate; if sauce appears dry, add more water 1/4 cup at a time).
- 11Remove from heat and let stand 5-10 minutes to settle flavors, then salt to taste before serving.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Rich Red Cowboy Stew
Serving Size: 1 (325 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 327.9
- Calories from Fat 99
- Total Fat 11.1 g
- Saturated Fat 4.5 g
- Cholesterol 145.1 mg
- Sodium 275.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 8.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.1 g
- Sugars 3.2 g
- Protein 50.9 g