Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 3 tablespoons raspberry jam
- 14 single trifle sponge cakes (or equivalent)
- 1 glass small medium sherry
- 2 (8 ounce) cans raspberries
- 1 lb fresh fruit
- 1 package raspberry jelly crystal
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 ounces custard powder
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 pint milk
- 1⁄2 pint double whipping cream
- Line the trifle bowl with jam.
- Place the sponge in the bowl and soak with sherry.
- Strain the fruit and reserve juice. Scatter the fruit on top of the sponge. Use a enough boiling water to dissolve jelly crystals and make up to 1 pint with water and strained fruit juice. Cool in fridge until just beginning to set (ie still runny). Pour jelly over raspberries assisting it if necessary, with a knife, to soak through to the sponge cake. Cover and refrigerate while making custard.
- Make the custard as follows: beat the egg yolks and mix together with custard powder, sugar and a little milk taken from the 1 pint. Heat the rest of the milk until almost boiling and add the custard mixture, stirring constantly.
- Cook for 1 minute and remove from heat. Allow to cool stirring to prevent skin from forming, then pour over trifle. Cover and refrigerate until set. Whip the cream, spread over trifle and decorate as desired with cherries and angelica, ratafia biscuits or chopped nuts.
- Good luck! Note!! Email address spam protected - delete the 9 before replying