Food & Wine, 2001. You can prepare this through the fist step (you will need the giblets, neck and wing tips from a turkey) and then you can keep that in the refrigerator for 3 days prior to cooking the turkey (you need the pan juices to continue). It was hard to estimate time so I guessed. Read through and you will get an idea.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 2 turkey wings, use the tip of the wings, giblets and neck, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 4 cups water
- pan juices, reserved from the cooked turkey
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup water, to be mixed later with the cornstarch
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 1Heat the oil in an enameled cast-iron casserole . Add the turkey parts and onion and cook over moderately high heat until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Cover and cook over low heat for 20 minutes. Add 4 cups water and bring to a boil. Cover partially and simmer until reduced to 3 cups, about an hour. Strain into a medium saucepan and strain off the fat.
- 2* you can store this turkey broth in the refrigerator up until 3 days.
- 3Pour the reserved turkey pan juices into a glass measuring cup and skim off the fat.
- 4Set the roasting pan over 2 burners on moderately high heat and add the wine and boil it for 2 minutes, scraping the bits and pieces from the turkey roasting pan.
- 5Scrape the contents of the pan into a strainer set over the turkey broth and press down on them.
- 6Bring the broth to a boil.
- 7Mix the cornstarch with the remaining 1/2 cup of water until smooth; then whisk this slurry into the boiling broth.
- 8Reduce the heat to low and simmer until lightly thickened, about 2 minutes.
- 9Season with pepper, pour into a gravy boat and serve.
Browse Our Top Very Low Carbs Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Rich Pan Gravy for Turkey
Serving Size: 1 (163 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 118.4
- Calories from Fat 54
- Total Fat 6.0 g
- Saturated Fat 1.5 g
- Cholesterol 29.8 mg
- Sodium 26.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 3.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.1 g
- Sugars 0.5 g
- Protein 8.7 g