Prep 40 mins
Cook 30 mins
For the pastry
- 4 ounces unsalted butter, hard from the refrigerator,cut in pieces
- 5 ounces flour
- 1 ounce icing sugar
For the filling
- 4 oranges, juice of and rind only,rind grated
- 4 large eggs
- 4 ounces unsalted butter
- 10 ounces dry weight caster sugar
- ----To make the pastry----.
- If you have a food processor, put all the ingredients for the pastry into the bowl and process until the mixture is like fine breadcrumbs.
- If you are making the pastry by hand, put the flour and icing sugar together in a bowl.
- Rub in the butter with your fingertips until you have a crumb-like mixture.
- Pat the mixture around the sides and bottom of an 8ö flan dish.
- Put the flan in the refrigerator for at least half an hour.
- Bake in moderate oven- (350°F/180°C/Gas Mark 4)- for about 20 minutes, or until the pastry is golden brown.
- ----To make the filling----.
- Put the orange rinds in a large bowl.
- Beat the eggs in a jug.
- Add the butter and sugar to the orange rind, and sieve in the beaten eggs.
- Mix all together and rest the bowl over a saucepan of simmering water.
- Stir until the butter has melted and the sugar dissolved, and then take the bowl off the heat.
- Stir the orange juice into the buttery mixture.
- DO NOT be tempted to add the juice along with the rind at the previous stage- it just doesn't work!
- Pour the mixture of butter, sugar, eggs, orange rind and juice into the baked flan case, and carefully put the flan back in the oven.
- Bake at 350°F/180°C/Gas Mark 4 for fifteen minutes, or until the filling is just set to touch.
- Take out of the oven and serve either warm or cool.