Recipe by Harperd
Spun my own version after browsing dozens of recipes for granola. Am still tweaking the fine details, but the flavor came out fantastic on first try; well worth another go. The recipe is flexible - mix and match ingredients to your heart's content. Happy crunching!
- 5 1⁄2 cups rolled oats, not instant
- 1 cup steel cut oats
- 1 cup wheat bran
- 2⁄3 cup oat bran
- 2⁄3 cup flax seed, golden
- 1⁄3 cup sunflower seeds
- 1⁄2 cup amaranth
- 1 cup wheat germ, raw
- 1 cup textured vegetable protein, flakes
- 1 1⁄2 cups almonds, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup sorghum
- 2 -3 tablespoons clover honey
- 2 tablespoons walnut syrup (or other desired flavor)
- 1⁄4 cup Splenda granular
- 3 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cinnamon stick, broken into pieces
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- nonstick cooking spray
- dried fruit (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Combine "Dry Ingredients" in a large bowl.
- Heat "Syrup Ingredients" in a small saucepan over medium-low heat, stirring, until smooth. Reduce heat to low.
- Add syrup mixture to dry granola, about 1/4 - 1/2 cup at a time, mixing granola to coat evenly.
- Lightly spray two cookie sheets with nonstick cooking spray. Divide granola-syrup mixture in two and spread each half on a cookie sheet, making sure the granola makes an even layer that reaches all the way to edges.
- Bake at 300 degrees for 30-45 minutes, stirring every 10-15 minutes to prevent burning. Remove from oven & cool on wire racks.
- For a small crumble texture, stir granola periodically while cooling; for clusters, allow to cool completely before gently breaking granola.
- When completely cool, mix in any desired fruits and store in an airtight container (or add fruits/other toppings when serving). NOTE: remove any cinnamon stick pieces before serving.